Monday, March 2, 2020

meeting mighty

With hindsight being 20/20 and all seeing red-flags from 2000 is easy now but I definitely didn't see them when I was 20 though.

Jan 20th 2000, I met my roommate as she got off work at Old Chicago's. She would serve me booze there so then everyone served me booze there. No one ever questioned my age, I was just in. She had recently started dating a guy that worked there and he was there partying with his roommates too.

I was bouncing around having a great time. Some cute guy that worked there invited us to a hot tub party. I went up to my roommate and told her hot tub party! Let's go! Her dude's roommate Mighty overheard this and not to be outdone said, "I've got rails if you want to come back to our place." Jen spent a moment considering the options and decided on the rails. I came upon a fork in the road and possibly frolicked in the wrong direction, but as my Grandpa told me, "It doesn't matter which road you choose, you always learn something." 

We made our way back to their place. It was a house on Monroe St and they called themselves the Kings of Monroe. It had the biggest evergreen tree in their front yard. It towering over every other tree on the block. Being from Oregon, I laughed. I didn't remember ever seeing such a big evergreen tree in Denver. We stumbled in and made our way down to the basement. His room was was dark and dirty. He chain smoked inside. He laid out the rails and I tooted one right up, but wait, this wasn't coke. It burned different. It tasted different. It felt different. It was different. It was meth*. We had made a false assumption about these rails. 

I went home but then talked on the phone to mighty until the sun came up. I was twitter-pated. . . good lord girl.

Mighty & Me in the basement

I did not finishing learning these lessons then and I'm still getting clear Sometimes you want to wear rose colored glasses. . . . then the red flags look like regular flags. Even with hindsight I wouldn't change being with Aric, I just wish I knew then what I know now.

see, them's just regular flags!

Another example, 7 years ago I met a very good looking guy at a party, he asked me out and when he came over to pick me up for a date he asked if I wanted to do some lines. "DUDE, it's 7 on a Monday. No, I don't want to do lines and you need to leave." I had it right for a second but he apologized, he just had it left over from the party and I relented. Hindsight: It was not just left over from the party. Coke was not the only drug on which he depended. 6 months later I cried and clawed myself out of that relationship but not before he royally fucked up my car. I regret that car thing so much.

I'm getting better at it though! My most recent attempt at dating, I clearly saw the red-flags and it only took 3 months to knock it off. Onward and upward.

*sidenote: it wasn't my first time with speed, I had had a creepy Filipino landlord introduce me to it a couple years prior, but that's a whole different red-flag story. 

Aric's last words to me in November were a sidenote

No comments: